Saturday, October 12, 2013

Peaches, Painting, and Perfection

Growing up I helped my Mom Bottle/Can every September-October.  My Memories include Picking the fruit and veggies from the garden, fruit flies everywhere, never ending washing of glass bottles and produce, large bowls and paring knives constantly in use, sticky floors, turning the Victorio, sweating from the heat of canning and the sun shining in on us.  It was not my favorite thing so do as a kid but we did it.  My all time Favorite things that my Mom canned were her Tomato Soup (Others have told me they have a great recipe, but of all I have tried my Mom's is still my favorite.) And a close second was Peach butter (it was kind of like applesauce but made with peaches and divine!)  Peach Butter also rescued me from eating our usual daily gown of Gruel for breakfast aka "Orphan Oatmeal" as I like to refer to it. 
I guess I didn't have a huge love for it, as I haven't canned anything by myself.  Canning seemed hard and expensive, not to mention all the equipment that I would have to obtain and then figure out where to store.  And lets be honest my house does not have a great place to store food, my poor makeshift "Harry Potter Pantry" is already lined to the door.  I never gave it much thought, then I went to a canning class, and talked to friends that were canning.  My interests peaked, the idea of controlling food quality as well as what was in my food appeals to me so I made a commitment to myself.  I was instantly overwhelmed initially so my commitment was small so that hopefully the outcome would be enjoyable and I would want to do more later.  My good friend and neighbor promised to hold my hand and help me as well as let me use her water bath canner!  So with her cheering me and holding my hand I canned my first batch of Peaches without my mom!  (Some of you are rolling your eyes and probably laughing but honestly it was big for me so just humor me ok.)
And I will be the first to say they are GORGEOUS!
Canned fruit looks so pretty right?  Now can someone just tell me how to get my family to eat canned fruit?  (Curses grumble grumble)
After "finishing" the office (if you know me now project is ever fully done.) I of course had to continue my goal to "Personalize" my home.  So I painted every ceiling and wall in the downstairs of my house. Oh but you know me so well you know I couldn't just do that right?  So I also painted our mantel white!  Of course Evanicio was traveling so here is what the first part of October looked like.
My Late night "Pals" and I.  (Work always starts once the kids are in bed if you are "single" parenting.
Frog tape EVERYWHERE!
Sappy I know but fun, until I realized after I painted over it that you can still see it!  hahaha No one else has noticed though!
Slowly turning this into....
This.
 And doing a ton of patching and furniture moving.  I do wish I would have had more energy and time to repaint all the baseboards but my priority is my family not my baseboards so I have to stop somewhere.  So maybe things are FAR from perfection, but the changes I made I like, and my home feels more like me!

Between all the late night painting and projects I also managed to have a few things break (luckily nothing too big,)
Henry started walking but was hesitant until our neighbors gave us this truck (actual meant for Mikey) and Henry claimed it as his personal  walker Runner.
And we borrowed this awesome bus from my sister for walking assistance while outside. As well as enjoyed some Amazing Fall Weather!
Henry upgraded from baby towels to fun little boy towel, and he was happy!
We enjoyed every last minute of sunshine and warmth that we could get!


No comments: