Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The "M" digestive situation.(Only a Parent can really appreciate this fully.)

Awhile back I did a Post about having to go off of Dairy. I wanted to give an update to those of you who have been curious where that went. Basically the blood in M's stool did not stop even though I was completely off dairy. I also went off Soy but it seemed to do nothing. Finally I was sent to a pediatric GI specialist. They also restricted my diet up to the point of only eating whole fruits and veggies and plain but little meat. And the blood still kept appearing. I was a mess. My body was exhausted due to lack of correct nutrition. My brain was exhausted from trying to figure out why this was happening and what I was doing wrong. Many of you may say "why not just go on formula" well one because it was freaking hard to start nursing I didn't want to just give it up and two the Specialist said they preferred me to nurse if I could restrict my diet (which I felt like they didn't believe I was because the blood kept coming.) In the least I was VERY tired, agitated and worried about my little man.
The doctor finally told me to go to their nutritionist. I was ready to fight to keep nursing so when we went to the appointment I was ready to go at it when she told me simply "M's body can't break down the milk and so no matter what you eat his body will continue to attack it and bleed. The only way to stop this is to allow the body to heal by giving him a special formula that his body won't attack." She had me. I had no fight, if she was right how could I fight she was going to help M. She said that we would give him the formula for 2 weeks and see what happened. Neocate: a wonderful formula that will break your budget, make your baby smell like he just ate a bag of salty potato chips, and give him crazy sticky green poop but that will instantly stop the blood that has been plaguing him for the last 5 months...Can we say happiness in a can? (I won't lie it was a hard 2 weeks. I had to do the whole bottle formula thing with Mikey as well as Pump and stay on a special die at avoiding Soy, Dairy, eggs, nuts, and fish, so basically I felt like I had twins and wow I was exhausted.)
Two weeks passed we went into our appointment. I thought the Nutritionist would probably make us go two more weeks before nursing. But instead she told me that they usually NEVER let the mothers nurse again. Yes now can we say anger? "BUT" she said "I know you really want to nurse and most moms are willing to be as diet restricted as you so if you want to be my guinea Pig we can try one last thing." I'm a fighter so of course I asked what she meant. She then explained that there is a new "up and coming" thing called a pro biotic that they have used successfully in other cases but never in something like ours. It was still expensive but much cheaper than the formula. I of course asked about any ill side effects long term effects etc and when she said none I was game. So for the last week and 1/2 I have been nursing (while staying on the special diet) and giving this pro biotic to him and we have had NO BLOOD! We are SO excited! Little M will be 7 and a 1/2 months old on Sunday and the poor guy has not started solid foods like all of his little friends. But as long as we make it to Friday then I have been given the OK to start rice cereal. Evan and I are crossing our fingers that all goes well as it has been hard to eat with M reaching for our food and licking his chops when we eat and not want to share something with him.

No comments: